Tuesday 14 July 2009

Arequipa, Peru´s Jewel... as in the singer, Jewel.

So I left Puno early this morning. It was a six hour trip to my next stop Arequipa. Stupid me, I didn´t eat breakfast, but not to worry because:

The carne asada was actually really good and I haven´t gotten sick, so all in all, I´d say a pretty good buy.

By the way, for Corie, as I write this, "Boys Don´t Cry" is playing at the internet cafe. Robert Smith would be so proud!

Let me just say, you haven´t seen Peru until you have driven through it cross country on a bus. South America is at its most beautiful away from the city. Seeing it from a bus is kind of like Google Earth, only real! So far, this trip, I´ve been reading books looking for new natural wonders to see, but I realize now all of South America is a natural wonder.

So now I am in Arequipa. Originally just a stopover to Colca Canyons, Arequipa has proven to be the most interesting and beautiful city I´ve been to in Peru. The city is basically in the middle of the desert. I had heard about how sophisticated the city was, so as we made our approach, a feeling of dread came over me because, at its outskirts, Arequipa is miserable. There were parts of the city that I would swear were ghost towns except for the occasional evidence of life, like a clothesline, or a person. "How could anyone live here" I asked myself.

But oddly, at the center of this wasteland is the heart of Arequipa: a truly cosmopolitan city that rivals the most famous and historical cities. I have not yet been to Venice or Paris, but I imagine it to be much like this. The transition from the third world to the cosmopolitan as I made my way to the center of the city was startling. It´s as if all of the wealth of the city was focused into these 25 city blocks.

But Arequipa is not a ruse. The city is built around structures that were built in the 16th century, two centuries before the U.S. was born. The design of the city is clearly meant to mimic the architecture of the churches and monastaries, but it is done well and doesn´t feel forced. Sure, it is a glorified outdoor mall, but you know what? I don´t care; it´s beautiful.

I´ll be going to Colca Canyons tomorrow, but will return to Arequipa Thursday. I think I may stay for a few days and try to check out some of the historical buildings.

I got a chance to explore the town a bit, and it is more than just its old buildings. I happened upon a little antique shop and was drawn in by the Spanish Colonial style paintings on the wall. The owner alleged that some of the art was in fact reproduction, but that some was authentic and as old as 8 centuries. I tend to be skeptical of such claims, but this shop felt a little different to me; like something out of a movie... yes a movie. Gremlins!

Anyway, That is all for now. Tomorrow it is off to Colca Canyons... :)

Love, Don

5 comments:

  1. Tam & Bud are enjoying blog immensely!! Binh is a great teacher, the writing is so richly vivid... and those videos are fabulous. Speaking of "fabulous"... "The Crack of Don"?!?!?! BRILLIANT. Stay safe. Binh should consider coming back with us on our next trip home (VN home). If Binh like bus rides, Binh will LOVE the butt-numbing bounce of the motherland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Chi Tam should blog on cai next trip Chi Tam too. It is a fun way to keep a record of the trip. It may be too soon for another VN trip; Binh have a few other travel goals before Binh revisit VN simply for a trip. Thanks for reading the blog! Chi Tam may account for all 15 of cai views Binh!! hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chi Lenny here - rest assured that Honored Eldest Sister is your only reader. I've been keeping track and noticed a profound lack of intoxicants, harlots, low-life dives and narrow escapes... you call this 'traveling'? Why, when I was your age we would... oh, wait, the children and women are still about, I'll hold off on those tales until the Gentlemen meet for port and cigars on the back veranda.

    Thanks for the view and more thanks for the envy you inspire... it doth motivate us, especially the food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nope, I'm keeping tabs! keep blogging and posting pics/videos - it's been very cool to travel along

    ReplyDelete